Wednesday, March 11, 2009

sick and sentamental...

I started this week off excited because it's the week before spring break and any time it's the week before a major vacation time I have a pretty good week because I relish in the thought that the next week I won't have to come to school. Well...Monday afternoon, after going to the dentist to pick up my mouth guard (that's supposed to keep me from getting headaches), I started feeling the beginnings of a headache. I could tell it was going to be one of my bad ones. I thought eating dinner would help so I went with my family and ate Chipotle while they ate Quizno's. Halfway through my steak burrito bowl I started feeling sick to my stomach and could tell that the dinner was not going to set well with me. This queasy feeling lasted all night and I ended up getting in bed before 9pm. I even took a sleeping pill so that I could be guaranteed some sleep since I could tell the headache and queasy stomach were not going to help me sleep. After laying in bed for almost 2 hours I realized the sleeping pill was doing nothing for me that night! I was so frustrated. I couldn't sleep and I tossed and turned until about 3:50am when I finally got up and went to the bathroom. I could tell I was going to throw up but I really didn't want to. It only took a couple of minutes of standing over the toilet for it to happen. I HATE throwing up with a passion which is why I've been so happy to not have had a lot of it through this pregnancy. After that I went back to bed and felt slightly better but was still achey and not really feeling good at all. I didn't really go back to sleep for more than an hour at a time and around 5am decided I would just call in to work because there was no way I would be able to work the next day. It turned out being a very good decision. I felt horrible all day yesterday. I called my mom (that's who I call when I'm sick because she still is the best one to take care of me when I don't feel well) and she sent my dad over to pick me up since she had to go to work. I spent the day at my parents, laying on their couch or bed trying to get sleep which didn't happen a whole lot. I couldn't get comfortable and I even took my boppy body pillow with me! My nieces Katelyn and Madelyn would pop in on me from time to time and talk and crawl all over me (I kept my face away from them so the germs wouldn't get them sick too in case this was a bug and not just a bad case of indigestion). Katelyn gave me some comical relief talking about making her birthday cake with "chocolate squirts" on it and "flower squirts" - she meant the icing but it still sounded funny. lol. She continually asked me how my head and belly were feeling and how Brooklyn was feeling. I told her Brooklyn probably was just fine and didn't even know I was sick. That seemed to satisfy her. It was a long day. I hate being sick and when I'm sick AND can't sleep because I can't get comfortable then it's more miserable. Waylon picked me up when he got off work last night and took me home and I did get a lot better sleep last night and felt a lot better today but not enough to go to work. I felt really weak from not eating and I wasn't sure how food was going to set on my stomach. I made it through a small breakfast and an even smaller lunch and so far I'm not feeling queasy yet. I definitely don't feel my best but I will for sure go back to work tomorrow. I really don't like that I had to take time off for this because I'm trying to save up as much time as I can for next year when I take maternity leave. At this point I'm definitely going to have to take some unpaid days because my amount of paid vacation is dwindeling. This is the downside of being a new teacher and having a baby and not having signed up for short term disability. ugh.

So now I'm laying in bed with my computer and Rowf. I decided I would go ahead and file our taxes which was relatively easy on TurboTax. I couldn't find our returns for last year so I did have to call them and ask for last year's AGI for both Waylon and I but I got it all done and we're getting a decent amount back. It's definitely going to help us out right now.

I also want to get started with writing my thank you cards for the baby shower. Anyone who knows me well knows that I STINK at doing stuff like this. I do NOT want to let this shower go by and end up sending thank you cards out super late. I want to get it done this week if possible. I don't know why it's so hard for me to write cards but it is. It's even hard for me to remember to get family members birthday cards and mail them or hand them to them! I've got to get better at this...

Today we have cold weather and rain which I hate. I don't like rain but I know we need it, especially in Texas where we can go almost all summer with no rain and temperatures above 100 but I still don't enjoy going out in it.

I have lots of plans for next week of things I really want/need to get done. My sister will be leaving Sunday night which makes me very sad. This also means that no one will be around but my brother till Wednesday when my parents fly in from taking her back up to MA. I'm hoping I can get lots done in those couple of days and maybe when my mom gets back she can come over and help me organize the baby stuff I got at the shower. I'm also planning on cleaning out my car and getting some cosmetic things fixed on that have been annoying me for a while.

You should go to my sister's blog and check out the video of us singing together last Sunday. It's . I think we did a pretty good job of singing, if I do say so myself. My brother is the one playing the guitar and my cousin David is playing the bass. You can't see my husband but he's playing the drums off to the right. He's pretty good and looks hot playing the drums! lol. Sorry, you probably didn't want to hear that last part but I think it's true! :)

I'm going to miss having my sister around when she leaves. It's been so nice being able to go see her whenever I want and having her and the girls to spend time with. You don't realize how much you miss your family until they're living 2,000 miles away. I'm glad she's been here for at least part of my pregnancy and she has given me great tips and advice about anything I have questions about. She's a great older sister that I'm very lucky to have. The girls are pretty fantastic too - and that's my totally unbiased opinion! lol. I know Mike is going to be VERY happy to have them back and I don't begrudge him his family but I do wish she could just go ahead and be here for the rest of my pregnancy and delivery! I don't think that's asking too much, do you? ;)

Now I need to go to walmart and get exactly two frozen dinners for the next two days I have to work and then I'll probably go back over to my parents house and visit a little more with my sister. Waylon started his new work schedule this week which has him working all nights so it's lonely around here without him. :(


Melissa@MamaMonoblogs said...

I sure hope you start feeling better soon too! You seemed to be better today. I laughed at Katelyn's " chocolate squirts" too. I don't think it's asking too much for me to be around....forever. Not too much at all! I sure that one day I'll get to be here for a whole pregnancy and delivery of yours. I thought we sounded great singing too!

Aileen said...

I'm glad you're feeling better today! Your blog made me sad of course because you kept mentioning Melissa and girls going back home. I've been trying not to think about that too much, but it's been very hard. I wish she could be around to and be with you through your pregnancy! Maybe some day that will happen!!!

Lydia said...

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well! Stomach bugs are definitely going around, they've been at our house too. It's one thing to throw up when you have morning sickness, it's a whole 'nother thing to throw up with a stomach bug. Good luck getting everything organized and I hope you enjoy your spring break!