Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's been a while

I realize I haven't done a very good job at keeping up with my blog lately. Now that I'm working again I find myself being much more selective with the little amount of free time I have in the evenings. Most days I go straight from work to my parent's house to pick Brooklyn up and then I'm usually there for a few minutes visiting with my parents and hearing about Brooklyn's day. Then I come home and either fix dinner or eat the dinner Waylon has fixed. (He's been doing a lot of cooking lately! It's awesome! Thank you sweety!) After that, it's normally either time to feed Brooklyn or change her. She'll nap off and on but usually stays awake for a good 2-3 hours. She also will usually have a good, long cry for about 20-30 minutes. That part isn't fun. Last night she did this 3 different times! Did I think I was going to go crazy?? YES!!! She had her first meltdown then I finally got her calmed down and asleep. She slept for probably a half hour and then woke up with the most heart-breaking cry, like she really had her feelings hurt or was super sad. That went on for another half hour before she finally fell asleep AGAIN...only to wake up another half hour later doing the same thing. All during this time I was trying to organize bills, eat dinner and place a Mary Kay order and I had a bad headache...which didn't go away since there was a screaming child in my ear. 

My, how my daughter has developed her scream! I hope she can put them to go use later on in life and be a good singer! lol

Brooklyn turned 11 weeks this past Wednesday. It's amazing to think that I've already had her around for that long. She is such a joy to have around. I have to remind myself how thankful I am of her when she's having her meltdowns though...those are trying times of motherhood!

We had her 2 month check up last week which I never ended up posting about. Her stats were 13.2 lbs and 24 in long! She's a growing girl! She got all her shots and did very well with them. Thankfully they do a combined shot so she only got 3 needles and one oral vaccination. She did cry pretty hard during the shots but calmed down very quickly afterwards and then slept for the rest of the night and all of the next day. I guess those shots just wore her plum out!

We are in the process of treating her scalp for her cradle cap...or cradle "crap" as I like to call it. She has also developed what appears to be eczema. She has a few red, very dry, flaky spots. One on her cheek, one over each eyebrow, and a couple on different spots of her head. It's very different from the cradle cap so I don't think that's what it is. I called my pediatrician and left a message about it but haven't heard back from them. I'm going to try some Eucerine lotion on it (suggested by my aunt) and see if that works. Hopefully it will.

Brooklyn is still on 4oz every 3 hours or so. She has taken to "snacking" a lot lately though which can be frustrating. She can't seem to stay awake for a whole bottle lately! That bottle is like a drug for her. As soon as you put it in her mouth, her eyes close and she gets all sleepy, even if she was just screaming and crying for it! It's actually pretty funny to watch how she does this, BUT, then she ends up waking up a lot sooner and wanting more bottle and then falls asleep again. So round and round we go with this. She actually takes her bottles better during the night.

Her sleeping habit has taken a turn for the worse these past few nights. She was doing really well only waking up once in the night at 4:30 am and sometimes sleeping all the way through till 6 or 7am. The past few nights she has woken up almost every 3 hours. On most nights Waylon will get up with her since I have to go to work early everyday and he only gets up two mornings a week to go to school at 9:30. Even though he's the one getting up with her, it's still hard for me because I still wake up and will be awake for most of the time he is feeding her and burping her. It's really hard to sleep with that going on in your bed. lol

In other news...

I'm getting back into the swing of things at work. Everything there is starting to feel very natural and it's all coming back to me. For the most part I have good classes. There are two classes that are more difficult than others because the kids like to talk so much. One class it's really just the talking because they are a pretty small class compared to my others. However, the other one, it's more a problem of just having so many students in that period. I have 27 students in that class and in the other 5 only 18-21 students. Those extra 6 students do make a big difference. Over all though, I have to say that the students themselves seem very nice and overall well behaved and I think we're going to have a good year. Tomorrow we have a half day with the kids and then the rest of the day we have teacher training and get out at 3 so I'm pretty excited about that. I'm showing a movie in my class. In Spanish of course! The kids just love watching my Spanish movies...hahahahaha (evil laugh)...NOT! I just remind them that if they want to complain about watching Spanish movies, then we won't watch them and we'll do extra work. That usually puts a stop to the complaining.

I will have pictures on my next post I promise. Right now I need to eat dinner and then go pick my baby up and make it back for The Office, Community and Parks and Recreation. I'm recording Grey's and will watch it later this evening or tomorrow.

Life is busy and stressful but I'm very blessed!


Melissa @Simply Mel said...

You do sound busy! Unfortunately, babies do go through those rough patches. And I wish I could tell you it stops there. Katelyn will have rough nights where she'll wake up angry and crying and kicking her bed. Then she cries b/c she wants me to stay with her etc etc. So, even though my girls have been sleeping through the night for a long time they still have their rough nights. You just learn to get through it! I'm glad that work is going well for you. Pretty soon you'll have your routine down pat and figure out what works for you. We're looking forward to seeing you guys in a week!
Oh, and Eucerin is a good lotion. I also like baby oil for her head. Madelyn actually has really bad cradle crap right now. I was always told to just let it go away on it's own. So I am.

Lydia said...

I hate those rough nights (and days) with babies! Just tonight, Cooper screamed off and on for 45 minutes or so. He was so sweaty by the time it was over. I hope it's not any indication as to how our night is going to go. Typically around 3 months, those bouts start becoming fewer and further between.
Garrett has excema and our pedi told us to use Eucerin and over the counter hydrocortisone cream on his patches. When he was a little older, we were given a prescription steroid cream for when it gets bad. Now we just lotion him down with Eucerin every night and use the cream as needed.
I'm glad school is going well!

Aileen said...

I'm glad she's calmer tonight! I didn't want you to have to deal with her screaming all evening! I felt so sorry for her today with her little melt downs! Things will settle down after she gets a little older. I think she does just fine for the the most part. Thankfully she doesn't do this everyday:)

robineilene said...

Sometimes when I'm reading your blog I feel like I'm reading about my own life! Brooklyn and Adalyn seem to be so similar in there temperaments!

Adalyn had the eczema thing going on for a while too. I don't know if it was a complete fluke, but we stopped using Johnson & Johnson products and switched to Method baby products (which are chemical free) and I promise you her face was completely normal within 24 hours! It made a HUGE difference!

A friend of mine just had a baby that's name is Katelyn. She also is very fussy. Then I have a few friends who just had babies named Lucas, Hudson, and Ethan. None of which are fussy babies. Do you notice a pattern here? I'm thinking our next baby's name will not end in "lyn!" :)

Guess Family said...

The waking up every 3 hours could be an indication of a growth spurt. Quinton did that.
For the cradle cap, get Sebulex. It is in a green bottle and is behind the pharmacy counter, ask the pharmacist for it. The pharmacists at both Wal-Mart and Target recommended it for Quinton's cradle cap. It is a little expensive ($12-$13 a bottle) but it works and you will only need 1 bottle. It cleared up Quinton's cradle cap within 2 weeks and it has never returned. I even used a small amount on a washcloth when it appeared on his eyebrows and it cleared that up as well.